Haskell library infrastructure coordinator

Ketil Z Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
28 May 2003 22:09:05 +0200

Alastair Reid <alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk> writes:

> So, sure, let's have people build their own systems from cvs checkouts if they
> want but let's not make this the standard way of doing things.  Let's make
> version numbered releases the standard.

Yes, I absolutely agree, of course.  The important part is
distributing source, which is simple and will work well in most
cases.

I imagine the shipped-with-the-compiler binary libraries will be more
or less cast in rock, the "stable" hierarchy will be fairly stable,
and anything will go for the "unstable" hierarchy -- which is where
CVS will be more appropriate.

There should probably be test suites to cover dependencies to ensure
that all libraries are adequately in sync -- I'm not sure how easy
this is to do in practice.

BTW, Debian is unusual, in that updates happen all the time. (There
are numbered releases, but they aren't commonly used, I think.  They
manage to make it work pretty well -- better than most others do for
third party stuff, IMHO.  Perhaps that model can be used?

-kzm