Contrib packages

Martin Sjögren md9ms@mdstud.chalmers.se
08 May 2003 15:21:21 +0200

--=-ruraRmcOBYRymnc4Fwio

tor 2003-05-08 klockan 14.27 skrev Ian Lynagh:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 08:36:01AM +0200, Michael Weber wrote:
> > * "Brent A. Fulgham" <bfulgham@debian.org> [2003-05-07T22:54-0700]:
> > >=20
> > > This sounds a lot like the Common Lisp compiler system.
> >=20
> > This sounds a lot like what I proposed aeons ago on one of the ghc
> > mailing lists - I think.  It's long ago and I don't have a reference
> > handy now, sorry.  It got shot down for some technical reasons, or
> > complexity or so, IIRC.  SimonM might remember.
>=20
> It is slightly more complex than other approaches, but I think it is
> significantly nicer from the sysadmin and user's point of view.

On the other hand, when something breaks, they break quite badly. Using
exact-version dependencies on ghc means that some packages will hold
others back, but at least *things won't break*.

One big problem with recompile-on-the-fly is that you need all the build
dependencies installed, which are usually a lot different from the
binary dependencies. The whole idea with binary distribution is that you
don't need a build environment (granted, you normally have a haskell
compiler installed if you're using haskell libraries) and build
dependencies can be very very extensive.

/Martin
--=20
Martin Sj=F6gren
  sjogren@debian.org -- marvin@dum.chalmers.se
  GPG key: http://www.mdstud.chalmers.se/~md9ms/gpg.html
  let hello =3D "hello" : hello in putStr (unlines hello)

--=-ruraRmcOBYRymnc4Fwio

--=-ruraRmcOBYRymnc4Fwio--