Subprocesses (was: [ANNOUNCE] shell-haskell 1.0.0)

Jens Petersen petersen@redhat.com
10 May 2003 15:17:56 +0900

2003年05月09日(金)の21時33分に Simon Marlow 曰く:
> > One thing I'd like to see would be a version that accepts a
> > string as the
> > standard input, and perhaps gives a lazy string as the
> > standard output.  At
> > least in its current incarnation, I don't see how this can
> > trivially be
> > implemented on top of launch, since it would generally fail on input
> > strings longer than 4k in length due to buffering issues, as
> > the write of
> > the string will block when the buffer is full.
>
> Just fork a thread to write to the input pipe.  Looking at the
> implementation of POpen.popen, it appears that it could do exactly that.

Agreed, that is what POpen should do really.

Jens

ps There is also "SubProcess.lhs" by Sebastien Carlier
<sebc@wise-language.org>, which I had been wanting to fold into POpen,
but using threads would probably be better, as long as they play along
nicely with forking.