Contrib packages

Michael Weber michaelw@debian.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 08:36:01 +0200

* "Brent A. Fulgham" <bfulgham@debian.org> [2003-05-07T22:54-0700]:
> On Wednesday 07 May 2003 10:00 am, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> > Then, when a new library is installed it would be rebuilt for any
> > implementations installed and registered, and when GHC is upgraded
> > it would rebuild all the libraries installed and registered. This
> > nicely solves the problem of changing binary formats. The only
> > subtlety I can see is making sure things get built in the right
> > order when installing multiple packages at once.
>
> This sounds a lot like the Common Lisp compiler system.

This sounds a lot like what I proposed aeons ago on one of the ghc
mailing lists - I think.  It's long ago and I don't have a reference
handy now, sorry.  It got shot down for some technical reasons, or
complexity or so, IIRC.  SimonM might remember.

BTW: Brent, Ian - maybe something along the lines of what Debian does
with kernel module packages?

Cheers,
Michael, in a hurry. :(
--
 /~\ ASCII ribbon | "You could wire up a dead rat to a DIMM socket and the PC
 \ / campaign     |  BIOS memory test would pass it just fine."