Library hierarchy.

Axel Simon A.Simon@ukc.ac.uk
Fri, 2 May 2003 19:23:20 +0100

Hi,

it is quite late to complain about the hierarchy of the new hierarchical
library. But I think I should do it eventually.

There is a path Graphics.UI which I think is conceptually wrong. User
Interfaces are not a subset of Graphics but rather the other way round. I
don't know if it makes sense to do graphics without interacting with the
user, if not then I would expect the hierarchy to look more like this:

UI.GUI		-- GUI stuff like ObjectIO or CGA
UI.Graphics	-- stand-alone graphics stuff like HOpenGL
UI.Joystick	-- An example of a non-graphical user interface

I guess for compatibility, Graphics has to stay. Could we have a top-level
UI branch so the CGA can go in there?

Axel.