Concerning Time.TimeDiff

John Meacham john@repetae.net
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:45:03 -0700

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 07:36:23PM +0200, Dylan Thurston wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 03:20:39PM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> >    - Timezone offsets are in minutes (apparently this is necessary -
> >      if someone could provide a reference I'd be grateful).  It's
> >      just occurred to me that since TAI is a valid timezone name,
> >      it isn't always sensible to ask what the "timezone offset" is.
>
> http://www.timeanddate.com/time/abbreviations.html lists several
> timezones with half-hour offsets (e.g., Newfoundland).
>
> Should there also be a function to get offsets (in seconds) between
> UTC and TAI?

yes. this would solve another problem I mentioned in a different email
about the user implementing their own time types and needing the raw
leap second info. perhaps:

leapSeconds :: ClockTime -> Int

returning the number of leap seconds before the given time. or even
better

getLeapSeconds :: [ClockTime]

just a (possibly infinite) list of known leap seconds. I say possibly
infininte since some implementations might want to heuristically predict
future leap seconds.

        John

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - john@foo.net