Concerning Time.TimeDiff

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:08:22 +0100

> in any case, since a pair of Int64's is not a clear win and an Integer
> definatly is a clear win in terms of usability then I believe we should
> go for that.

It's a radical idea but... Maybe we could avoid all these issues by using an
abstract type with all sensible instances (including Num though it is only
semi-sensible for times).

Internally, we might use Integer or two Int64s or we might even add Int128 to
our compilers.  Externally it looks like an Integral (or Fractional?) type.

Programs which perform a lot of time operations will use time operations which
are implemented to exploit the fast internal representation.  Programs which
convert times to/from Integer (or Rational) will play a small penalty but why
would they be making these conversions?

--
Alastair Reid