Concerning Time.TimeDiff

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
19 Jun 2003 15:59:42 +0200

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> Haskell does have a standard 64 bit Int, known as Int64.

Okay.  I'm still not convinced it's a good idea to tie things to a
specific data type.  What about CPUs with only native 32bit support,
and programs that only need to manipulate small amounts of time?  What
about computers with a >64 bit native type?

> My guess is that there won't be enough of a difference for it to matter.

...and I don't think it's entirely given that two 64 bit numbers will
be faster than one Integer.

> POSIX "seconds since the epoch" is a *real* kludge.  Let's not get the
> two confused.

Sorry, my bad.

-kzm