cvs commit: fptools/libraries/base/Control/Monad/X Cont.hs ContT.hs Error.hs ErrorT.hs Fix.hs Identity.hs Monads.hs Nondet.hs NondetT.hs README Reader.hs ReaderT.hs Resume.hs ResumeT.hs State.hs StateT.hs Trans.hs Transformers.hs Types.hs Utils.hs ...

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:57:25 +0100

On Tuesday 03 June 2003 11:26 pm, diatchki@glass.cse.ogi.edu wrote:
>   Added files:
>     libraries/base/Control/Monad/X Cont.hs [...]
>   Log:
>   Added a first version of the new monad library (experimental).
>   Hopefully one day the "X" will disappear.

What's the policy on adding large directory trees of experimental code to
existing libraries like base?

Some obvious options:

1) Go right ahead - no need to mark it specially

2) Go right ahead but be sure to use an X prefix to warn people - we'll delete
the X once it is finalized.

3) It'd be better to do the development in a separate library tree
    such as fptools/libraries/newmonads.

   a) And give it a name like Unsafe.Control.Monad.Cont
   b) And give it a name like Org.Diatchki.Control.Monad.Cont
   c) And give it a name like Control.Monad.Cont

I lean towards either (1) or (3) and can't decide between 3a/b/c.

(3) seems most in keeping with the push for a library infrastructure.

--
Alastair Reid