monad library

Iavor Diatchki diatchki@cse.ogi.edu
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 19:03:19 +0000

hello,

C.Reinke wrote:
> [sorry for not following this list closely,
>  hope this interjection is appropriate..]
not at all, there is an alwfull lot of stuff going to haskell,
haskell-cafe, libraries, etc so i often miss things :-)

i think the issues bellow are addressed to some extent, but since i am
not 100% sure i understtod the post, please ask again if my answer is
not quite adequate.

the philosophy i took with the modified monad transformer library is
that it does not provide any instances for "standard classes" for
"standard types".  by this i mean that there are _no_ instances like:
instance Monad (Either a) where ...
instance Monad ((->) a) where ...
etc.
every transformer is defined using newytpe, and is actually exported as
an abstract entity, so it is a completely new type that can only be
manipulated thru' functions/methods defined in the library.  the library
defines a bunch of classes, and there are some instances for "standard
types", for example:
instance HasBaseMonad IO IO
that should not be a problem, as there are no other sensible instances
for this class.

one (somewhat debatable) point is the way the monads (not the monad
transformers) in the library are implemented:  they are defined by
applying the corresponding transformer to the identity monad, and this
is done by simply using a type synonim.  there was a short discussion if
we should use newtype instead, but no final decision was reached. i kind
of like the current way of doing things, but there was a concern about
the type errors one gets.  i did a few experiments and the type errors
do not seem much worse, but if in the future that becomes a problem (or
most people want newtypes) we could easily change that.

is there demand to define instances for "standrd types", e.g. things like:
instance Monad (Either a) where ...
instance MonadError a (Either a) where ...
i am not sure that this is a good idea as the monads in the library do
the same job.

bye
iavor