Libraries digest, Vol 1 #272 - 12 msgs (SSL)

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz@blueyonder.co.uk
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:48:56 -0700

> Message: 12
> Subject: Re: monad library
> From: Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sj=F6gren?= <martin@strakt.com>
> To: libraries@haskell.org
> Date: 30 Jul 2003 08:59:30 +0200
>

> --=-Gr+al8yxZidrCfU3E9Nj
>
> ons 2003-07-30 klockan 04.26 skrev Andrew J Bromage:
> > Our taxonomies are, for better or worse, DAG-shaped.  SSL, for
> > example, can legitimately go under both "network communication" and
> > "cryptography", which are quite different fields of computer science.
>
> For the record, I don't agree with this. I could agree to having SSL
> under some sort of "security" category, but it's completely orthogonal
> to cryptography. I frequently use SSL without encryption because I just
> need authentication.

You are still using encryption for the authentication (RSA) even if you are
not encrypting the stream. (RC4). However, I think the classification ought
to put RSA and RC4 into Codec.Encryption but SSL into Network.

Dominic.