monad library

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:26:40 +1000

G'day all.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 11:34:09PM +0200, Sven Panne wrote:

> From a user perspective, yes. But deeper hierarchies are sometimes useful
> for the implementation of larger APIs. And people in biology are quite happy
> with a *much* deeper hierarchy:  :-)

At the moment, a tree-shaped hierarchy works fine for biology.
When genetic engineering gets to the point where you can cross a
kangaroo with a dragonfly, then the situation will be more analogous
to what we face in software engineering.

Our taxonomies are, for better or worse, DAG-shaped.  SSL, for
example, can legitimately go under both "network communication" and
"cryptography", which are quite different fields of computer science.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage