Data.Graph vs. FGL

Iavor S. Diatchki diatchki at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Dec 3 09:18:25 EST 2003

hi,

Ross Paterson wrote:

>Data.Graph.Erwig or Data.Graph.Inductive?

i appreciate martin erwig's work on FGL,
but i think we should avoid naming libraries after the people that first
designed them.
for a programmer, that naming scheme is not particularly enlightening
(they have to know the histiry of the development of the library to know
why it has that particular name).
i'd much rather go with an abreviation, like FGL.
(these same comments go for the new naming scheme of the pretty library
- i can never
remember if john hughes comes first or simon pj, and how much of their
name should
i include in the import, so i stick with the good old "pretty")

and after all even microsoft didn't name their OS gates, they cleverly
chose windows instead :-)

-iavor

| Iavor S. Diatchki, Ph.D. student               |
| Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
| School of OGI at OHSU                          |
| http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~diatchki               |