Libraries and hierarchies

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang@jeltsch.net
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 18:04:02 +0200

On Monday, 2003-08-11, 16:57 Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:24:39 +0100, "Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Ok, but as I mentioned before we'd like to keep package names as short as
> > possible, for two reasons: they will be included in symbol names in a
> > compiled library, and because it's just easier to talk about "hgl-1.0"
> > than it is to talk about "http://haskell.org/packages#hgl-1.0".

> A trivial point, but one that could cause some pain if not addressed: this
> should become http://haskell.org/packages/hgl-1.0 (or possibly even
> http://haskell.org/packages/hgl/1.0), otherwise the "packages" page will get
> very large having to list every possible version of every possible package.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ganesh

Hi,

why shall we use an URL of a human-readable package description at all?
Wouldn't an URL of some XML file containing package info (including name,
version and maybe also a pointer to a human-readable package description) be
better? Or using identifiers like "hgl-1.0" as Simon Marlow suggested.

Wolfgang