FW: First Attempt at Crypto Library

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
23 Apr 2003 09:19:26 +0200

"Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

>> I would have thought Codec.Binary.Base64, since in the other
>> cases (Image and Video), the name is for the content you wish to
>> code

> I initially thought along these lines, but then concluded that it's not
> that simple (or at least, that's not the only interpretation of the
> classification).

Is a deep hierarchy really necessary?

Intuitively, a good hierarchy makes things easier to find, but as soon
as location becomes slightly ambigous, a hierarchy becomes
counter-productive: there are just a lot more places to look.

As far as I can tell, the point of a hierarchy is to avoid name
clashes, please don't make it deeper or more complex than what is
necessary to achieve that goal.

So, IMHO, Codec.Base64 is good (deep) enough.

-kzm