FW: Library infrastructure

Andrew J Bromage ajb@spamcop.net
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:56:08 +1000

G'day all.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 01:05:43PM -0400, Matthew Donadio wrote:

> Yes, they are nice, but they dosn't totally solve the building process
> (though I could be worng about CPAN; I try to ignore perl :) ).

Not true.  So long as your C code (in the case of CPAN) is portable,
everything else just works for both CPAN and CTAN.

The catch is that code in CTAN and CPAN only need work on one
implementation (TeX/LaTeX and Perl respectively).  It helps that
both LaTeX and Perl have ways to specify a "minimum version required".

> The ports tree handles this.

The ports tree similarly works because it is only required to work with
one OS and compiler.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage