FiniteMap: modifyFM

Hal Daume III hdaume@ISI.EDU
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:42:28 -0700 (PDT)

There were two comments from Simon that deserve addressing:

1:

> There's no problem with having an AdvancedPrelude, but I would argue
> against building the standard Prelude on top of it for purely practical
> reasons

Agreed; I was only suggesting that for code-duplication purposes but
understandable error messages are probably more important.

> Just have a separate package containing AdvancedPrelude, and use
> -fno-implicit-prelude with GHC.

I would prefer having a standard library (couldn't tell if this was what
you were suggesting or not) and having -fuse-advanced-prelude which
defaults to: -fno-implicit-prelude and import AdvancedPrelude in the
relevant modules.

2:

> So what's wrong with 'import Prelude()'?  If you regularly want to hide
> certain names just define a module:
>
> the current scheme is biased towards the majority (i.e. those that want
> to use the Prelude unchanged), but it's flexible if you want to do
> something else.  I think it's fine.

I have no problem with MyPrelude (I've actually resorted to this in a few
instances), but, for as small as the haskell community is, there's the
standard prelude, the hugs prelude (which is slightly different, last time
I checked -- i bevelive it has foldl' and fromInt), my prelude, Ashley's
prelude, and I'm sure (well, pretty sure) that other people out there
either have their own prelude or have had the desire but not the gall to
make their own.  I would simply like a standard one that's more flexible.

 - Hal