FiniteMap: modifyFM

Alastair Reid reid@cs.utah.edu
19 Jun 2002 18:50:18 +0100

> So...yeah...I've kind of lost my train of thought, but I think that
> the problem I've frequently had is that I want to use the names the
> prelude uses, but can't.  :).

Back when Haskell 1.4 (or 98?) was being designed, I proposed that
Haskell's rule that the Prelude is implicitly imported into every
module should be dropped.  Benefit: simpler language, easier to
replace Prelude with your own.  Cost: requires you to type 2 extra
tokens in every module and to ask students to type it in without first
giving them a full explanation of what it means.  Didn't get anywhere.

I'm wondering if that would help at all?

[Possibly not.  When I worked on Yale Haskell (which was written in
Lisp), I cursed and swore at the Lisp hackers who seemed to have
defined their own personal subset of Lisp in which every symbol meant
something slightly different from what it meant in any one Lisp.  That
is, one of Haskell's goals was to create a common language for all
lazy language research so it might be a mistake to make fragmentation
easy.]

--
Alastair