Graphics hierarchy

Sven Panne Sven_Panne@BetaResearch.de
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:44:32 +0100

To summarize the recent discussion, here a proposal for a part of the
library organization:

    Graphics
        Rendering
            Direct3D
            FRAN
            Metapost
            Inventor
            Haven
            OpenGL
                GL
                GLU
            Pan
        UI
            FranTk
            Fudgets
            GLUT
            Gtk
            Motif
            ObjectIO
            TkHaskell
        Format
            GIF
            JPEG
            PNG
            TIFF
        HGL
        X11
            Xaw
            Xlib
            Xmu
            Xt
    System
        POSIX
            Files
            IO
            Process
        Win32

A few comments:

   * As proposed by Alastair, HGL is not artificially split into an UI
     part and a rendering part. Designing a universal UI<->Rendering
     API seems a bit over the top IMHO, at least currently.

   * It's unclear what Graphics.Format is supposed to do exactly.
     Could somebody explain this?

   * Whether the POSIX/Win32 hierarchies should be split up on a
     functional basis or not has already been debated, but I can't see
     any real consensus here. How should we proceed?

   * http://www.haskell.org/~simonmar/libraries/layout.html should be
     updated, at least as far as there was agreement on the
     (sub)hierarchies.

Cheers,
   S.
--
Sven Panne    Fon: +49/89/99567000    Fax: +49/89/99567461
BetaResearch GmbH,    Betastr. 1,    D-85774 Unterfoehring