The next step

Ian Lynagh igloo@earth.li
Mon, 28 May 2001 14:59:10 +0100

On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 10:17:03AM +0100, Simon Marlow wrote:
> Manuel writes:
> > I don't think that it is a good idea to specify a license.
> > For example, I am convinced that the (L)GPL is the better
> > licence for the community.  Incidentally, the GPL is also
> > the license of one of the most successful free software
> > projects ever - Linux - which is certainly also one of the,
> > if not *the* commercially most successful free software
> > project.  So, I don't buy this GPL is bad for companies
> > propaganda.
>
> It's not propaganda.  The fact is if any of the standard libraries use
> the LGPL, then some people will be prevented from using them.

If there is an LGPLed library then you can write a new version which
matches the spec and release it under the BSD license if you wish.
Then in a similar way to how the implementation of a library you have
may use GHC extensions (say) you could use an implementation with a BSD
license. I would suggest that the specs be public domain and the
compilers can chose to ship whatever version they think best.

Ian