Library hierarchy, contd.

Dylan Thurston dpt@math.harvard.edu
Fri, 25 May 2001 07:45:15 -0400

Here's a concrete proposal for a Mathematics subtree.  Following Jan
Skibinski's comment about linear algebra and some thought, I convinced
myself that there is no natural division between
numerical/computational libraries and more "pure" mathematics.

Mathematics
  Libraries for mathematical structures or algorithms.

------
Mathematics
    Prelude		-- The so-called "numeric" hierarchy from
			-- the H98 Prelude
    Complex		-- Standard H98
    Ratio		-- Standard H98
    DSP
        FastFourierTransform
        Noise
        Oscillator
    LinearAlgebra	-- Provides a simple-minded matrix implementation
        Sparse
        LUDecomposition	-- Various algorithms/representations go here,
        ...		-- Somebody help me with a good hierarchy.
    DomainConstructor	-- Mechveliani's library
    ExactReal		-- Various people have done good work here.
			-- Unfortunately, no-one seems to have published
			-- their source code in library format.