Summary of progress

Malcolm Wallace malcolm@abbess.demon.co.uk
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:35:23 +0000

Simon Marlow wrote:

> Actually, to address Malcolm's (understandable) confusion, the
> differences between "Haskell" and "Std" are mainly that entry into
> "Haskell" is much easier.  For a new library, it could be brought in
> immediately but marked "non-standard" until such time as the community
> has discussed and agreed on an interface.  In the meantime, compilers
> would be free to distribute the non-standard version for testing.
>
> I've no objection to dropping the "Haskell" prefix and adding a prefix
> for the non-"Haskell" parts of the tree.

My inclination is certainly to drop the "Haskell." prefix.  As an
illustration, I was thinking about the various proposed Codec
libraries, and came up with a separate hierarchy for them:

    Haskell
        FileFormat
            Compression
                Gzip
                Bzip2
            Graphics
                Jpeg
                Ppm
            Audio
                Mp3
            Video
                Mpeg

The thing is that "Haskell.FileFormat.Graphics.Jpeg" just looks
plain silly.  It isn't a Haskell-specific file format.  It is an
external standard.  Just "FileFormat.Graphics.Jpeg" is much more
sensible, IMO.

Regards,
    Malcolm