Module versions

Malcolm Wallace malcolm@abbess.demon.co.uk
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 19:41:44 +0000

"Manuel M. T. Chakravarty" wrote:

> Like with soname, we could have optional version numbers at
> the end of each name, which defaults to the latest version
> if no version is given.

Yes, this seems reasonable.  The exact mechanism might need
some careful agreement between compilers.  For instance, is
the "real" name of the library

    Graphics.UI.Gtk
or
    Graphics.UI.Gtk_1_2
?

In either case, the actual layout in filespace can be handled
with symbolic links, e.g.

    Graphics/UI/Gtk.hs		-- symbolic link to Gtk_1_2.hs
    Graphics/UI/Gtk_1_2.hs	-- the real module

At the moment, nhc98 will flag a warning (for instance) that

    module Gtk is called Gtk_1_2 in its interface file

but this is harmless.  I don't know how GHC currently copes
with this kind of module/filename conflict?

Regards,
    Malcolm