Core libs summary

Alastair David Reid reid@cs.utah.edu
28 Jun 2001 14:13:01 -0600

Great work Simon.

Simon Marlow <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> I've gone through and put in a best guess for the
> stability/portability status, so let me know if you think any are
> wrong (Hugs, NHC folks: remember that every module marked "portable"
> is expected to be available on all implementations - so if any of
> these are going to cause problems, let me know).

(Without having looked at it at all) I'm half expecting to have to
tweak the Foreign interface a bit since the low level grungy stuff is
where compiler differences are hardest to hide.

Does it work on NHC?  (In which case changes are a lot less likely)

I remember that one of the ForeignObj-like datatypes pretty much
requires threads to implement it because the finaliser is an arbitrary
piece of Haskell code.  This would be hard to support in Hugs and I
expect NHC would have problems too.

--
Alastair Reid        reid@cs.utah.edu        http://www.cs.utah.edu/~reid/