ghc_extra_opts in package

Jan Skibinski jans@numeric-quest.com
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:51:57 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 Jun 2001, Alastair David Reid wrote:

> [..]

> 2) We extend the package definition with a list of features used in the
>    package.
>
>    Package {
>      name = "net",
>      extensions = [ "FFI", "ExceptionHandling", ... ],
>    }

	This seems to be a very clear, high level, specification.
	I'd vote for it, or something of this sort. It clearly
	specifies up front what is really needed to use a particular
	module and it does it in a human-readable format. Ideally,
	I'd like to see it as a part of future Haskell Report.

	Frankly, all those compiler switches - no matter how powerful
	and familiar they are to those using, GHC say, compiler - make
	me feel quite uncomfortable; they resemble a jungle of switches
	specific to GCC or to other specific C compilers.

	With all due respect, Haskell supposes to be both a high level
	language and a system of high level libraries - not something
	augmented by a set of low level rules about switches and macros.

	Jan