Glasgow mafia meeting at PLDI

Andy Gill andyjgill@home.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 20:29:25 -0700

Alastair Reid said:

We got 4 Glaswegians (Andy Gill, Andy Moran, Simon Marlow and me)
together in the same room at PLDI for a meeting about the new library
scheme.
[...]
7) I abdicated from the position of Hugs Library Czar and Andy Gill
   assumed the position.

   My resignation didn't go into effect until 7am today so I could
   legitimately claim that I was the HLC on my CV :-)

[...]

  [The Galois people (Andy and Andy) actually work at one of the few
  places that really does have significant intellectual property
  written in Haskell.  I won't attempt to summarise their position on
  the license issue or their argument but would encourage them to do
  so.  Incidentally, it seems that Andy Gill hasn't been getting
  library email for the last few weeks - which explains why they've
  been so quiet.]

Andy Gill replies:

(1) I've re-registered for this mailing list, sorry about not being around!
  [We suspect that the galois mailer went down overnight at one point,
   which is peak europe talking time, and a sudden flood of messages
   triggered an automatic name deletion, when too many messages bounce!]

(2) One point we discussed was missed:

In Haskell you sometimes publish *two* interfaces to your libraries;
one for users, and one for super-users than might want to extend things.
Typically the super-users can see passed some of the user library
abstractions.

If you have a public library (say Html), and its called Text.Html (say),
then you'll use a naming convention for the super-user library.
The best we could come up with was *.Internals

So:
import Text.Html           -- The library
import Text.Html.Internals -- The super library (for building other libs)

(Comments, anyone?)

(3) I'll mail out a response to the GPL/LGPL/BSD mailings as soon
as I've digested the last few (100) messages! In short, though,
we (Galois) would strongly prefer the library to be BSD only.

Andy Gill
Galois Connections