The next step

Alastair David Reid reid@cs.utah.edu
01 Jun 2001 11:57:52 -0600

Simon Marlow <simonmar@microsoft.com> writes:

> The criteria for a library to be in the "magic set" (I'm going to
> call it the core set for now) is nothing more than conforming to a
> set of guidelines that we've yet to decide on.  I'm drafting up a
> proposal at the moment.

Maybe the right thing to do is to make the choice of license a
fundamental part of the hierarchy?  That is, we could have:

  Core   -- all under BSD license
     Core.Control
     Core.Numeric
     Core.User
     Core.Org

  LGPL   -- all under LGPL license
     LGPL.Control
     LGPL.Numeric
     LGPL.User
     LGPL.Org

  GPL   -- all under GPL license
     GPL.Control
     GPL.Numeric
     GPL.User
     GPL.Org

And then we can impose restrictions like "Core can only import other
Core libraries", "LGPL can import Core and LGPL but not GPL", etc.

--
Alastair Reid        reid@cs.utah.edu        http://www.cs.utah.edu/~reid/

ps We should, of course, be saying 'MIT-style license' instead of 'BSD
license' since some people think of BSD as implying the obnoxious
advertising clause.