module namespaces

Johannes Waldmann joe@isun.informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 12:59:23 +0100 (MET)

> GHC has a concept of a "package", which is basically a compiled unit
> consisting of libraries and interfaces (not necessarily Haskell).

OK, so this would correspond (roughly) to Java packages,
while Haskell modules correspond to Java classes?

Note that in Java, you can import a class (`import Foo.Bar')
or a package (`import Foo.*'), and that's a syntactic difference
built into the language.

Do we need the same thing for Haskell?
Then the compiler/linker would know:
import a package: link with libPack.a;
import a module: link with Module.o

> For each package, the compiler has a specification telling it
So you'd have to change the compiler (driver script)
if you want to add a package? Yes I know how this works with ghc now,
but I thought the new namespace proposal could somehow give
a more uniform solution.
--
-- Johannes Waldmann ---- http://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/~joe/ --
-- joe@informatik.uni-leipzig.de -- phone/fax (+49) 341 9732 204/252 --