[jhc] almost to 0.8.0 - feedback welcome

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Feb 7 14:07:37 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 4:53 AM, Henning Thielemann
<lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>> Yeah, I discovered that bug too. Not sure what exactly introduced it but i
>> was
>> messing with the renamer. I temporarily disblede utility-ht until I get a
>> chance to look at it again.
>
> I am innocent.

Yes you are. :)

>> Well, it isn't really base 1.0, it has no relation to the hackage/ghc
>> version
>> other than the unfortunate shared name and the fact they implement similar
>> things which can be confusing. There is no correspondence between the
>> version
>> numbers but it does support many of the interfaces that newer versions of
>> ghcs
>> base has, so you can generally compile cabal projects by simply deleting
>> their
>> build-depends and letting jhc loose on it.
>

> For me a package that tracks the various simple additions to Data.List and
> Control.Monad, while omitting more complicated stuff like concurrency, would
> be nice. I would really like to write packages that can be compiled on both
> GHC and JHC without cabal switches.

Yeah, something like that was my goal with 'base' originally, but I don't think
it helped much because it wasn't clear which extensions to the haskell2010
libraries I included or didn't and people just had to try compiling things and
see what worked. by supporting 'haskell2010' by default, at least something
that compiles today will probably compile unchanged many versions from now.

Though, it wouldn't be hard to present the view you want (it is more or less
what I would use too), you would just create a library like

name: haskell-plus
synopsis: haskell 2010 with commonly accepted library extensions
exposed-modules:
      - Ext.Data.Char as Data.Char
      - Ext.Foreign as Foreign

then just compile with '-phaskell-plus' to get the extended version of the
libraries. My goal is to make this sort of thing easy so a few different useful
'views' like this can be included for common workflows.

    John