[jhc] almost to 0.8.0 - feedback welcome

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Tue Feb 7 07:42:07 CET 2012

On 2/5/12 7:42 PM, John Meacham wrote:
> When pulling from the repo you need DrIFT installed, the tarballs
> don't need it though. I can make that message more informative...

Yeah, I know, I just forgot I didn't have it installed. (I do now, of
course.) I was mentioning it more because I would've expected the
autoconf step to spot that it had neither DrIFT nor the generated files
and therefore fail, rather than the failure happening in the build step.
Not a big issue, just some polish.

> The development.html page is only updated on a release from
> docs/development.mkd, It would probably make more sense to have it
> track the repository version rather than the current release. I'll see
> about adding a cron job to fix that up.

No worries. Again, mostly mentioned for the sake of making the build
process nice, clean, and easy to follow.

> I have a fix for the third issue done. will post it soon, in the
> meantime you can find the call to qualifyInstMethod  in
> src/FrontEnd/Rename.hs and just replace it and the hsDecls processing
> for HsInstDecl with
>
>   >  hsDecls'<- rename hsDecls
>
> to just do a full renaming of the declarations.

With that change it gets up to:

     [14 of 21] Data.Record.HT.Private
     tmp/build/utility-ht-0.0.5.1/src/Data/Record/HT/Private.hs:13
         - Error: Ambiguous Name: compare
     Could refer to:
         (Data.Record.HT.Private.compare,Jhc.Class.Ord.compare)
     tmp/build/utility-ht-0.0.5.1/src/Data/Record/HT/Private.hs:14
         - Error: Ambiguous Name: compare
     Could refer to:
         (Data.Record.HT.Private.compare,Jhc.Class.Ord.compare)
     tmp/build/utility-ht-0.0.5.1/src/Data/Record/HT/Private.hs:15
         - Error: Ambiguous Name: compare
     Could refer to:
         (Data.Record.HT.Private.compare,Jhc.Class.Ord.compare)
     Running Command Failed! at utils/build_extlibs.prl line 26, <$fh>
line 41.
     make: *** [utility-ht-0.0.5.1.hl] Error 2

Unrelatedly, I'm curious, what is the reason for still using base-1.0?
Is there any hope of getting a newer base to compile so that we can use
Hackage effectively? If not, what are the impediments: technical issues,
or just manpower?

--
Live well,
~wren