[jhc] foreign ptr bugs

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Sun Jan 2 03:32:25 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 6:03 PM, Korcan Hussein <korcan_h at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah it works for me too, I didn't know that GC isn't enabled by default? how
> does memory management work without a garbage collector? malloc/free and
> static reference counts (linear types)? anyway thanks for the help!

It applies the brute force approach of never reclaiming anything, that isn't
entirely true, it does some static analysis and a simple form of region
inference so things won't blow up too fast, but programs will eventually run
out of RAM. Basically, the reason for this was that I was experimenting with
alternate garbage collectors and it wasn't clear which one would end up on top.
jgc will probably be enabled by default in the next release.

        John