[jhc] Problem with parsec -- program does not terminate.

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:39:15 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've made a small program to parse a file, and write something to
stdout based on what was parsed.
When the file to parse's format is right, the program works well.
If I introduce an error in the file, program as compiled by jhc starts
reporting the error then hangs, when compiled with ghc it reports the
error correctly.

compiled the program with the following command lines, with the same result. :

jhc -p parsec DecVersBL.hs
jhc -p parsec -funboxed-values DecVersBL.hs
jhc -p parsec -flint DecVersBL.hs

command line I used to compile with ghc :

ghc --make -O2 -funbox-strict-fields DecVersBL.hs

results : (first ghc version, then jhc )

david at pcdavid:~/code/edimail$ ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.3
david at pcdavid:~/code/edimail$ jhc --version
jhc 0.7.6 (0.7.6-3)
compiled by ghc-6.12 on a i386 running linux
david at pcdavid:~/code/edimail$ ./DecVersBL
(line 105, column 10):
unexpected "!"
expecting "="
david at pcdavid:~/code/edimail$ ./hs.out
(line 105, column 10):
unexpected "!"
^C          <---- I type CTRL-C after a long while
david at pcdavid:~/code/edimail$

The code and test file are attached. (Many strings and comments are in
French, sorry for that)

David.