[jhc] what to work on next?

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Wed Jun 24 10:10:53 EDT 2009

Evangelism (the honest sort), so that you have some users.  In your
release announcement I would like to hear
- that there are finally enough bugs fixed that JHC is usable.
- that it's as easy to use as GHC for normal coding [can you make a
Haskell-Platform-with-JHC to install?]
- Which extensions are implemented.
If you get on the haskell-iphone list, you'll have more concentrated
interest of people because the existing/past GHC overhead [and poorness
at cross-compiling] matters more there.  But make sure all of Haskell
knows what's going on!

P.S. for my purposes, the Haskell Platform (including cabal-install)
would be most important: its release made it 10x easier for me to get a
working release of GHC!  Then the only barrier might be if I needed some
extension that Jhc didn't provide.

For example, the extensions in ghc.cabal.in:
     Extensions: CPP, MagicHash, UnboxedTuples, PatternGuards,
                 ForeignFunctionInterface, EmptyDataDecls,
                 TypeSynonymInstances, MultiParamTypeClasses,
                 FlexibleInstances, Rank2Types, ScopedTypeVariables,
                 DeriveDataTypeable, RelaxedPolyRec
CPP is done by Cabal, and MagicHash and UnboxedTuples are kinda
unimportant, but if would be nice to have the rest of them :-)  And I
guess you must have existentials, for the new exception library?  (I
intend to stay away from FunDeps and ATs whenever I can for various
reasons, not only portability and semantic sense/soundness, but also
that, once upon a time when I tried to generalize my code using them, it
only turned into a mess!)

also I wonder, what is JHC's stance on monomorphism? (e.g.
MonomorphismRestriction, MonoPatBinds, etc.)

John Meacham wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 05:29:23PM -0700, Corey O'Connor wrote:
>> Outside of the compiler itself: A JHC equivalent to ghc-pkg would be
>> nice. That, I'd imagine, would require some Cabal library integration.
>
> The equivalent of ghc-pkg is delightfully simple.

Big question for me is just, how well cabal and cabal-install work :-)
.. I haven't actually done anything useful with ghc-pkg.  maybe ghc-pkg
list.  Now if ls works, but the names needn't correspond to the package
contents... does JHC have a way to display the interface of a .hl file
in a human-readable way?

> If you find yourself writing a lot and want to add a chapter to the
> manual, simply add comments like so
>
> {- at ChapterName
>
> markdown formatted text
>
> -}

Is it Haddock compatible?  Haddock comments would be lovely to read

Thanks for the caring!
-Isaac