[jhc] what to work on next?

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 20:29:23 EDT 2009

Outside of the compiler itself: A JHC equivalent to ghc-pkg would be
nice. That, I'd imagine, would require some Cabal library integration.

As for the compiler:

0. The performance of the jhc compiler is sometimes downright slow.
Given your description of how JHC works it makes sense why the compile
times can be long. Looking into optimizing this would be nice.

1. Additional documentation of the compiler source. This isn't much of
a problem given the code is quite clear.

2. Improved garbage collector? This might just be a documentation
issue. The documentation states the region-based garbage collector
leaks memory. And the configure script hints at being able to use a
standard Boehm garbage collector library. Does the region based
garbage collector still have issues? When should one be used over the
other?

3. Direct code generator instead of relying on the C compiler. In
addition to opening up some generated code optimization possibilities
this may tie in with #0 above. Perhaps some compiler performance
optimizations are only possible with a native code generator?

I would like to get involved in JHC more and see me mostly able to
contribute to #0 and #1. Specifically I plan on attacking #0 and
documenting everything I read in the source along the way.

Cheers,
-Corey O'Connor