[jhc] ANNOUNCE: jhc 0.6.1

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Jun 23 10:38:43 EDT 2009

Hi, this is to announce the release of jhc 0.6.1. The jhc homepage with
distribution information is at http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/

The main new feature in this release is a much simplified
cross-compilation mechanism. While cross-compilation was always possible
with jhc, it used to involve manually copying the C file and calling gcc
with the right options on it, now this is taken care of by jhc.

A (popular) example would be setting up an iPhone cross compilation
target. For instance with the SDK setup I have, I would simply add the
following to a file ~/.jhc/targets.ini

    [iphone]
    cc=arm-apple-darwin
    cflags+=-I/usr/local/arm-apple-darwin/include
    merge=le32

then you can compile iphone binaries with

    ; jhc --cross -miphone HelloWorld.hs

the targets mechanism is extensible at run-time and I have included
native unix, win32, osx-intel and osx-powerpc targets. But certainly
many more interesting ones are possible. Some I have tested have been a
nokia N770 as a target and an atheros MIPS based router running dd-wrt.

There is more information on cross compilation in the jhc manual at
http://repetae.net/computer/jhc/manual.html#crosscompilation

jhc is also now available in the repetae yum repository which you can
get at via

    ; rpm -i http://repetae.net/yum/repetae-repo-1.0-3.noarch.rpm
    ; yum install jhc

Enjoy!