[jhc] install log, suggestions

Mark Wotton mwotton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 10:10:59 EDT 2009

On 12/08/2009, at 12:00 AM, John Meacham wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 02:55:28PM +1000, Mark Wotton wrote:
>> some quick notes on the experience of installing on shae's
>> bladeserver
>>
>> - configure doesn't check for DrIFT (also check for other libs)
>
> Well, the configure script is mainly for the benefit of the tarball,
> which should not require DrIFT to compile and install (if it does,
> that's a bug). If you are actually modifying the source/developing
> jhc,
> then a few more tools (like DrIFT and happy) are required.

Ah, fair enough. I'm running from darcs now.

>> - jhc won't use multiple cores to build libs? might be a
>> misunderstanding on my part.
>
> Jhc itself currently won't do it on its own, but you can create a
> suitable makefile and do 'make -j' which will utilize all your
> cores. My
> recent patches are paving the way for native parallel support in jhc,
> however a while ago someone tested it and found it didn't improve
> speed
> that much, it could have been an issue with the GHC runtime
> though... I
> would be interested in trying it again.

I meant for the actual build process of jhc itself - only interesting
because I'd like to run a full build-and-test on each operating system
on each commit.

>> also, I've been thinking about a continuous integration server,
>> both for
>> JHC and for other projects. Shae's volunteered his machine, and I'm
>> happy
>> to set up a continuous integration environment, but I wanted to
>> make sure
>> that I wasn't duplicating work - have you got one already?
>
> I don't think so, what do you mean by a continuous integration server?
> Like a buildbot style system?

Yeah, exactly.
I'm going to set one up anyway for some other haskell projects. It
should really just be a matter of fiddling with regress.prl so it can
spit out TAP - can just hook it up to a standard reporter after that.

mark