[jhc] explanation of FrontEnd.KindInfer.constrain

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Mar 18 19:01:12 EDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 06:52:04PM -0400, Samuel Bronson wrote:
> On 3/18/08, John Meacham <john at repetae.net> wrote:
>
> > 'constrain' refines a type subject to constraints, kindCombine actually
> > returns what the unification of the kinds are. constrain works on
> > constraints, combine works on kinds. constraints don't necessarily map
> > to kinds, though currently most have an analog.
>
> Eh? Doesn't KindInfer run before typechecking begins?

excuse me, I meant 'kind', not 'type'. this terminology is real
trickylike... At least I made sure that jhc core's axioms allowed a
stratified type system so 'term','type','kind','superkind' all are
distinct sets and have no cyclic dependencies... though, I am not sure
if there are practical languages where that is not the case.. though
wacky type systems are fun to play with.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈