[jhc] darcs patch: Get Data.Typeable to compile

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Mon Mar 17 16:13:37 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 03:52:28PM -0400, Samuel Bronson wrote:
> > that said, for practical reasons, and since a lot of the stuff in ghc
> > base isn't separately packaged, I do need some way to make it available.
> > I think what would be best is to have the current 'base' library just
> > contain a fairly minimal base, what we expect to be in haskell' or what
> > is jhc specific enough to be interesting.as well as what is enough to
> > build 'haskell98'. then create another 'base-extras' library which will
> > contain mostly unchanged code from the ghc repo that is in ghc's base.
> > like System.Console.GetOpts can probably go there.
>
> Wouldn't it be more sensible to put the JHC-specific code in a library
> called jhcbase, like hugs does (only of course theirs is called
> hugsbase or something), and just use the "base" repository that
> everyone else uses for the not-really-jhc-specific bits?

Well, I actually wanted 3 packages:

jhc - nothing that relys on Prelude, everything the compiler needs or
knows about is in here somewhere. as in, the compiler has no built in
knowledge of anything that doesn't live in 'jhc'. should be fairly
small.

base - basic functionality, enough to implement one of the language standards,
either haskell98, haskell' or one of the random alternate prelude
systems that are floating about.

base-extras (or some other name) - something just to fill out compatibility
with ghc's base but stuff that wouldn't normally need to be distributed
with a compiler.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈