[jhc] darcs patch: Fix kind inference + test (and 6 more)

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Apr 3 21:50:20 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 09:31:33PM -0400, Samuel Bronson wrote:
> Well, that's what I thought it must be an attempt at. But in fact
> there is other code that does a much better job -- or at least, it
> does it in a way that provides less false comfort. The other code only
> defaults kinds for things that have made it into the kind environment.
> Anyway, the rule of thumb for compilers and RTSs is "crash ASAP",
> so...

Yeah, the original kind checker was out of the THIH in haskell paper,
where only simple kinds were allowed so just defaulting to * was a
straightforward way to do it. When I added the kind constraint stuff, it
became necessary to be a bit smarter in the defaulting stage so that
code was no longer needed.

You will still find remenants of the old THIH kind checker and type
checker around, though I have rewritten both a couple times since then,
some code constructs and terminology has a way of sticking around.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈