[jhc] darcs patch: Fix kind inference + test (and 6 more)

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Thu Apr 3 21:06:50 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 07:47:28PM -0500, Samuel Bronson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Samuel Bronson <naesten at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Mon Mar 31 07:28:01 EDT 2008  Samuel Bronson <naesten at gmail.com>
> >   * Fix kind inference + test
> >   Also, comment out the case in kindOf that makes things look fine when
> >   they aren't -- unless of course * isn't the right kind
>
> This one makes the kind inference actually run when
> FrontEnd.KindInfer.hsTypeToType, and makes kindOf stop reporting *
> when the name in question is not in the environment -- signifying that
> kind inference has definitely not seen it. The former behaviour was
> useless, serving only to make things appear to work when they in fact
> did not, merely because * happened to be the correct kind in most
> cases.

This was due to the kind inference algorithm specified in the report,
any unconstrained kinds are supposed to be defaulted to *. This may not
be necessary anymore though as I think I added an explicit defaulting
step. In any case, It wasn't put there by accident or a hack even if it
is no longer needed.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈