[Haskell-iPhone] Installing ghc-iphone from source

Stephen Blackheath [to GHC-iPhone] likeliest.complexions.stephen at blacksapphire.com
Wed Mar 9 04:34:03 CET 2011

Tom,

To answer all your questions...

> It says that GHC-6.10.4 is required to build GHC-iPhone 6.10.4.
> Is it exactly 6.10.4, or at least 6.10.4? I just upgraded to 7.0.2.
> Tom

I wish. :)  It has to be exactly 6.10.4.

> Also, I know that this is a newbie question, but when you refer to,
> say, "Remove extraneous stuff from your PATH.", what exactly is the
> PATH? Any place where we want to have ghc-iphone from?

PATH is the shell environment variable of that name.  To see what it's
set to, type this:

echo $PATH

Basically the command you want to type is something like this:

export PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

That is, you need to remove any junk that's been added, like MacPorts
and so on.  MacPorts is 100% guaranteed to make it not work.

> "cat ../ghc-iphone.patch | patch -p0"
> still doesn't work. There is no file "ghc-iphone.patch" among those I
> downloaded for this.

That instruction is a little out-of-date.  The single patch has been
split up into multiple patches and put into the 'patch.snowleopard'
directory.  So the command you will want is something like:

cd ghc-6.10.4
cat ../patch.snowleopard/*.patch | patch -p1

The number after 'p' is how many directories to strip off the filenames
referenced in the patch.  If you're inside ghc-6.10.4 then it should be 1.

Steve