[Haskell-iPhone] ghc-iphone and TemplateHaskell

Stefan Kersten sk at k-hornz.de
Wed Jan 26 15:57:00 CET 2011

hi steve,

On 20.01.11 22:16, Stephen Blackheath [to GHC-iPhone] wrote:
> The reason why Template Haskell doesn't work on the current GHC-iPhone
> compiler is because when I tweaked the build to cross compile, I just
> took the Stage 1 compiler as the cross compiler.  And, by default, the
> stage 1 compiler doesn't support TH.

ah, ok, that explains it! ;)

> It is most likely just a matter of throwing a switch in the build
> somewhere.  I believe the TH code is interpreted, so the ARM back end
> should not be an issue.  Unfortunately, fixing this is nowhere near my
> priority list at the moment.

ok, no problem.

> If you want to attempt it, I've given detailed instructions on how to
> build the compiler, so you should have no trouble.  It builds well on
> Snow Leopard, and takes about an hour or so.  I'll help with answering
> questions as much as I can.

i've built the iphone-simulator compiler by patching ghc-6.10.4 and also using
6.10.4 for compilation; thanks for the detailed build instructions! the build
succeeded, but now i'll need your help; the very last output is (probably as
expected):

# Cross compile: We don't actually build the compiler in stage 2.
#make -C compiler stage=2
# Cross compile: We only need a selection of the utils in 'utils' built for the
target
#make -C utils with-stage-2
# Build ghc-pkg in stage 2 because it needs different default directories
# to the one we built in stage 1.  (The makefile forces it to be built for the
build host.)
make -C utils/ghc-pkg with-stage-2
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `with-stage-2'.

i've built the stage2 compiler with make -C compiler stage=2, but i'm not sure
how to modify the build script to actually install that compiler. any ideas?

thanks,
<sk>