[Hugs-users] compiling hugs

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Mon Mar 30 11:01:29 UTC 2020

> I realise this mailing list is long defunct, ...

Hi Sam, defunct but not forgotten. (Sorry I took a while to see your post.)

I've been able to compile some of Hugs. That's on a Windows machine
with MinGW/MSys.

I'll probably not be able to help much with GNU/Linux,
but FWIW the bit I couldn't get to compile was exactly the FFI.
Also I had quite a bit of trouble backtracking to Win32:
mine is a 64-bit machine, but I had to run everything in 32-bit mode,
because the config files didn't know anything about 64-bit.

Re FFI: do you need to support foreign functions?
What I did in the end was just take the FFI objects from the distro,
not recompile. (Hack the makefile to make only the /src sub-dir, miss
out /libraries, /docs.)

I'm interested only in modifying the language/syntax/semantics,
not building industrial-strength interfaces.

> ... but I am nevertheless interested in compiling hugs on a modern GNU/Linux system,
> primarily motivated by thoughts that are along the lines of
> http://www.joachim-breitner.de/blog/748-Thoughts_on_bootstrapping_GHC

Yes, I thought Joachim was both a hero and foolish for trying. At a guess,
you don't need FFI to bootstrap enough of the language to get a
compiler running
with the Prelude(?)

By all means I'm happy for you to bounce ideas around.

AntC

> However, I hit this compilation error and I was hoping somebody could
> help me to get past it:

cd libraries; make all
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/fommil/tmp/hugs98-plus-Sep2006/libraries'
cd ../cpphs; HUGSFLAGS=-P../libraries/bootlib HUGSDIR=../hugsdir
../src/runhugs -98
../packages/Cabal/examples/hapax.hs configure --verbose --hugs
--prefix='/usr/local'
--scratchdir='../hugsdir/packages/cpphs' --with-compiler=../src/ffihugs
runhugs: Error occurred
ERROR "../libraries/bootlib/Foreign/Ptr.hs" - Error while importing DLL
"../libraries/bootlib/Foreign/Ptr.so":
../libraries/bootlib/Foreign/Ptr.so: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory