[Hugs-users] compiling hugs

Anthony Clayden anthony_clayden at clear.net.nz
Wed Apr 29 06:21:42 UTC 2020

The news is improving, I have a working system (on Windows, including
WinHugs).

Not all of the libraries compiled, and some are bitrotted beyond repair.

But I think there's enough for your objective of using Hugs to bootstrap
GHC.

In particular, you'll need to get working a couple of preprocessors:

* hsc2hs -- HSC format is a hybrid Haskell/C; pre-processed to .hs + .c + .h
* cpphs -- "a simplified re-implementation" of C++ pre-processor, in
Haskell.

They're both used extensively in the `make` building libraries/packages.

Both of those need a bit of polishing-up, see Franklin's repo. (He was also
working on Mac, did you see his homebrew kit?)

For the sake of posterity I'll post some notes here with the travails of
getting Hugs up and running.
Some of the code is very ancient -- pre the C 1999 standard.

AntC

> Hi Sam, I have some good news, but mostly bad news.

>* Please do let me know if anybody can figure out how to compile the
*>* missing library!
*

>To answer your last point first, Franklin Chen figured out how to compile
the library
-- it's a two-line fix, that gets three .dlls to compile.
See around line 220 in here:
https://github.com/FranklinChen/hugs98-plus-Sep2006/blob/master/packages/base/include/HsBase.h

;
also see the git change history for that header file.