[Hugs-users] Hugs98-plus-Sept2006

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Sat Dec 9 16:59:25 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 09:38:37PM +0000, dfeustel at mindspring.com wrote:
> What I have discovered is that þugs, invoked with no arguments,
> initializes itself differently depending upon the presence or absence
> of Prelude.hs in the $HOME directory.  With Prelude.hs *not* present
> in $HOME, I get the behavior described in the original post. When
> Prelude.hs *is* present in $HOME, then an error re loading Prelude.hs
> is reported, and primMinInt/primMaxInt/primMaxChar all work and the
> prompt is 'Hugs.Prelude>'.

You have a file called Prelude.hs containing a module Hugs.Prelude in
your current directory.  When Hugs starts, it loads Hugs.Prelude, which
it finds in the default path, and then attempts to load Prelude from
Prelude.hs (because . is at the front of the search path).  However this
file contains a module Hugs.Prelude, not the Prelude it was expecting,
and initialization fails.

The error message when Hugs finds a file to contain the wrong module
could be better, though.