[Hugs-users] Fwd: Hugs'06

Sven Panne Sven.Panne at aedion.de
Sat Dec 10 07:15:06 EST 2005

Am Freitag, 9. Dezember 2005 08:18 schrieb Bulat Ziganshin:
> [...]
> 1) lack of preprocessor in WinHugs. i know that i can setup makefile
> to do this, but this is not convenient. preprocessor is absolutely
> needed for me to mask differences between GHC and Hugs

At least on *nices Hugs comes with cpphs (disguised as cpphs-hugs), but I'm
not sure about Hugs on WinDoze here. And instead of Makefiles, Cabal might be
a better option nowadays.

> 2) lack of hGetBuf/hPutBuf operations
> [..]
> 4) inability to create <<foreign import "wrapper">> functions, so i can
> call back from C to Haskell. but i think that this is huge task and
> i personally can debug most parts of my programs without it [...]

Both are needed for my various Haskell bindings for OpenGL/GLUT/OpenAL/ALUT,
so you can be sure that they work on Hugs... ;-)

I think that a new official Hugs release is really overdue and I'm not sure
about the reasons for not doing this. Ross? One question might be what to do
about the various packages, but I would vote for the "sumo approach" and ship
as much as we can together with Hugs. When the release after that will be
done, there is probably already enough Cabal/Hackage/etc. out there that we
can go for a more modular release approach.

Another question is: Who will be the packager for the various platforms? As
usual, I can provide RPMs for x86 SuSE distros.

Cheers,
   S.