source-only release candidate

'Ross Paterson' ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Thu Sep 25 11:19:16 EDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 10:05:11PM -0700, Mark P Jones wrote:
> You've mentioned before that you don't have a machine to try doing the
> windows builds yourself.  And I'm afraid I don't have the time (or, it
> would seem, the technical skill) to do this any more.
>
> Is somebody else looking Windows builds?  I was surprised that this "release
> candidate" doesn't build under Windows, and I'm certainly hoping that this
> can be fixed in the release.

It's not (just) the lack of a machine -- we don't have anyone with the
time and expertise to do it.  As near as I can tell no one has done a
Windows build for months.  It's a miserable situation, but we can't delay
a release for non-Windows users forever.  Any volunteers would be welcome.

> PS.  One problem in both the cygwin and msc cases was the use of the symbol
> "CONTEXT" in parser.y/parser.c and input.c, which clashes with a standard
> symbol in the windows libraries.  I suggest renaming it to CTXT (if you
> like, PREDICATES is probably available instead).

Thanks, done.

> (I'm not at all convinced the other changes I made were correct or
> effective, so I'll spare you the details.)

Please don't.  Anything is better than nothing.