Problem with hierarchical libraries in Hugs compared to ghc/nhc98

Ross Paterson ross@soi.city.ac.uk
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:31:08 +0000

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:04:08PM -0000, Simon Marlow wrote:
> The issue as I see it is whether a module
> A.B.C can be placed in a file A.B.C.hs, or whether it has to be named
> A/B/C.hs (substitute / for the local directory separator).  IIRC some
> people wanted to be able to do this - I suppose it might be useful to
> avoid deep/sparse directory structures.

[adding Henrik, because he was the one arguing for this feature]

The cost is admittedly small, but the utility seems approximately zero.

Typically people produce a package comprising a subtree of modules deep
in the hierarchy.  They want an economical way to specify the common
prefix, not a directory full of huge names sharing a long prefix.