Problem with hierarchical libraries in Hugs compared to ghc/nhc98

Olaf Chitil olaf@cs.york.ac.uk
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 17:44:27 +0000

Ross Paterson wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 02:35:47PM +0000, Olaf Chitil wrote:
> > The simple reason why Hugs behaves so is that when searching a module it
> > *always* searches the current directory (* where the import was demanded
> > *) first. Only afterwards the paths set with the -P option are searched.
>
> This is a clear flaw in Hugs (long known, but hard to fix).  A workaround
> is to add the -X option to stop it adding the extra directory.

Thank you very much for pointing me to the -X option which I had not
noticed before.

Why is it hard to fix if -X actually exists? Why not have -X as default?
Is the current default behaviour good for anything?

I still suggest putting some semantical description into the
hierarchical libraries extension document, so that people like me do not
jump to wrong conclusions because of the similarity with directory
structures.

Olaf

--
OLAF CHITIL,
 Dept. of Computer Science, The University of York, York YO10 5DD, UK.