Help!!

Alastair Reid alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:42:58 +0100

Amy Barnes <amymarie@slingshot.co.nz> writes:
> Finally worked out my problem was not that I didn't know to load
> hugs, I have a file missing -
>
> [localhost:~] amy% hugs dyld: hugs can't open library:
> /usr/lib/libncurses.5.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
>
> Does anyone know what this file is or how I can obtain it?

If I recall correctly, this is for a Mac running Darwin.  Right?

I can't help you with where to find the file.  I have a vague idea
that there's a standard place to get unix-like tools and libraries if
you're a developer and I suspect you need to go there but I don't know
any specifics.

Another way to solve the problem might be to build your own copy of
Hugs customized to your machine rather than using a copy customized to
the machine of the person who builds the binary package.  If you have
C compilers and the like installed on your machine, this is quite easy
to do - at least, it was when I did it on a Darwin machine last
summer.  Just go to the Hugs website, download the source distribution
and execute the following commands (based on the file hugs98/Install
in the distribution).

    tar zxvf hugs98*.tgz
    cd hugs98/src/unix
    ./configure --prefix=$HOME
    cd ..
    make install

The --prefix argument on the third argument is used if you don't have
administrator privileges on your machine and assumes that $HOME/bin is
on your search path.  You may also want to use '--with-readline' to
allow easier editing of commands to Hugs but that would depend on
having the readline library installed on your machine.

--
Alastair Reid                 alastair@reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk
Reid Consulting (UK) Limited  http://www.reid-consulting-uk.ltd.uk/alastair/